As Tiferes Bais Yaakov closes out its 18th year of operation serving the Toronto Torah Community, preparations for the coming year 5779 (2018-2019) are already well underway. With important changes already in progress, we wanted to take this opportunity to update everyone on new developments.
After 18 years of dedicated service, Rabbi Feigenbaum has decided to retire from Tiferes Bais Yaakov in order to promote and teach the Tiferes chinuch methodology that he developed to other mechanchim and mechanchos around the world. We wish him much hatzlacha in his new chinuch venture. At this time, we feel it appropriate to stop and reflect on our past and, more importantly, on where we are headed.
Chanoch l’naar al pi darko has always been a cornerstone of our school since its inception but at Tiferes Bais Yaakov this aphorism extends well beyond just educational excellence. Our focus is on helping shape each and every one of our girls in a complete and holistic way. Hashkafa, Midos and Attitude are all part of this development process. Tiferes Bais Yaakov equips each graduate to succeed in her role as the eventual Akeres Habayis while pursuing professional excellence. This is done through a unique and joyful experience, blending rigorous Limudei Kodesh and outstanding secular studies with Torah-true Hashkafa, and character driven student activities.
The results speak for themselves. Did you know that:
- Collectively each year we volunteer over 5,000 hours of community service
- 96% percent of our students are accepted to the seminary of their choice
- 98% of our graduates are accepted into the post- secondary program of their choice
- Our graduates have obtained post-secondary degrees in a wide range of professional fields that include Medicine, Dentistry, Social Work, Engineering, Psychology, Accounting, Food & Nutrition, Education and much more.
Making Torah and Yiddishkeit a dynamic and positive growth experience has always been the ultimate objective of Tiferes Bais Yaakov. It will continue to be our goal and mission to produce inspired, self-confident, and educated Bnos Yisrael, who are prepared to take on whatever challenges they encounter in the outside world.
The Board would like to assure parents and other stakeholders that the search for a new Menahel is continuing and remains our top priority. With a clear vision and direction firmly in place, we want to be sure to ultimately select the absolute best possible candidate to help carry out our mission. To that end please take note of the following:
- As mentioned previously, Rabbi Feigenbaum will be retiring from Tiferes Bais Yaakov. He will not be returning to the school in any official capacity next year, allowing him to concentrate on his new chinuch venture.
- The Search Committee has identified and interviewed many potential candidates, both locally and internationally, for the position of Head of School. Unfortunately, we have not yet identified the right person to carry our Vision and Mission forward into the future. We are seeking the most suitable candidate that meets the various criteria set out by the Board in consultation with senior staff. The importance of this role in guiding our school into its 3rd decade precludes us from making a hasty and short-sighted decision. B”SD, we hope to identify and secure the most suitable candidate as soon as possible.
- For the upcoming 2018-2019 academic year, the school will be managed and led by our very capable Limudei Kodesh Principal, Mrs. Adina Ribacoff, and General Studies Principal, Mrs. Polina Nagla. They will be closely assisted by our Director of Student Affairs, Miss Batya Feigenbaum. Mrs. Rita Drutz will be continuing as our General Studies Vice Principal. This Administrative team has functioned closely with Rabbi Feigenbaum this past school year, and we are confident that they will run the school effectively for the coming year and ensure continuity of the TBY Mission. Final arbitration and authority will appropriately rest with the Limudei Kodesh Principal, Mrs. Ribacoff.
Our confidence in their professionalism and educational background makes them qualified to carry out this interim position.
Mrs. Adina Ribacoff has been with Tiferes Bais Yaakov since September 2005. Mrs. Ribacoff develops the Jewish Studies Curriculum and oversees its implementation on a day-to-day basis. In addition to participating in the Torah Umesorah Principals seminars on a yearly basis, Mrs. Ribacoff has completed her studies at the Harvard Graduate School of Education Principals’ Center. Further to that, Mrs. Ribacoff is completing a Masters of Education in Educational Leadership and Administration. In addition to her educational qualifications, Mrs Ribacoff is an internationally known lecturer and lectures to women in the US and Canada on various topics such as parenting and Shalom Bayis.
Mrs. Polina Nagla our General Studies Principal, has been with the school since September 2014. Prior to joining Tiferes Bais Yaakov, Mrs. Nagla worked for the Toronto District School Board and taught at Bnos Bais Yaakov. She holds an Honours B.A., B.Ed., and has earned her Principal’s Qualifications from the Ontario Principal’s Council (OPC). She is currently enrolled in the Master’s Dimension program with the OPC. She also holds Specialist Qualifications in Guidance Education and History. As an advocate for teacher training, student achievement and well-being, Mrs. Nagla has been a leader in Professional Development. She works closely with colleagues to develop workshops in the areas of mental health, student assessment, technology integration and pedagogy to enhance curriculum and student pathways.
With this structure in place for the coming year we are certain that the chinuch and hatzlacha of Tiferes Bais Yaakov will continue to produce self-confident and successful Bnos Yisroel.
On behalf of the Board and the school administration I want to wish you a Chag Sameach.
Dr. Moshe Shields,
TBY Board of Directors